Now that we’ve moved away from cereal due to the packaging, I am grasping at breakfast ideas. So, imagine my thrill at finding a traditional English porridge eaten cold. Mmm….
The ingredients I used:
1/2 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1-1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon local honey
1/4 cup homemade apple sauce (feel free to use unsweetened out of the jar)
handful unsalted sunflower seeds
handful chipped walnuts
How to make it:
I mixed it together in a bowl and scooped it into 1/2 pint (8 oz.) mason jars. I made a few batches and froze them. The rest we’ll be enjoying for breakfast. Word has it a few spoonfuls will keep you full until noon!
Do you have any porridge recipes to share?
Other porridge recipes I found:
- Icebox Oatmeal (suburbhomestead.wordpress.com)
- Chia Seed Porridge – Breakfast in minutes! (jitterycook.com)
- starting fresh with raw strawberry banana buckwheat breakfast porridge (veggienook.com)
- please, sir, i want some more: whole-grain morning gruel (culinariaeugenius.wordpress.com)
- The Pleasures of Chia Seeds & Flax Seeds: Which Do You Eat More Frequently? (thekitchn.com)
- Multigrain Porridge (table1095.com)