This is my little green set up or how my recycling program runs in the house. It is pretty messy…..are you ready for this?
These bags I hang bags on the garage wall to collect tops off bottles. They can’t be recycled but Aveda will take them and use them to make their hair product containers. Any candy wrappers or granola bars, frozen peas, etc. I sometimes give in and buy, I collect for Terracycle. (Because everything is SO DARN CHEAP at the Amish Ben and Dent –salvage type store.) My husband sometimes says it’s not such a good idea to shop there because we buy things we normally wouldn’t. I tell myself as long as I give it to Terracycle….it’s okay to sometimes give in. See me trying to rationalize here? But very few people I know go to this extreme, anyway. Most people just recycle the basics. We’re trying to figure out how to recycle every single thing.
My husband and his father put the racks for the bags up for me while I was out of town, bless them. They hang right below the trash and recycling bin screaming at me to grab a few before I head out to the store. If I forget, I punish myself by refusing to accept a bag and making myself figure out how to get the said groceries out to the car.
Neatness is the next step….ha!
Other fabulous articles about recycling and what exactly Terracycle is:
- Fun and frugal (wickedlocal.com)
- Ireland have you discovered TerraCycle yet? (thelessismorechallenge.wordpress.com)
- A Totally Sweet Book on a Smelly Start-Up: Terracycle (thegreenbull.wordpress.com)
- Understanding Recycling – How To Minimize Landfills (simple-green-living.com)
- Frightful Waste: Making Halloween Green (huffingtonpost.com)