This is actually supposed to be made of possum, but I was fresh out. Not that I wouldn’t use one if I ever hit one on the side of the road….
What to use:
1 lb organic, hormone-free ground beef
2 cups green beans
5 cooked potatoes
1 small chopped onion
1 to 2 small chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of black pepper
6 slices Colby/Monterey Jack cheese
How to make it:
1. Cook the potatoes in water until tender. (May take up to 30 minutes.)
2. Cook meat and onion together in skillet until onion is tender and meat is no longer pink.
3. Add spices, potatoes and tomatoes. Stir and pour into oiled casserole dish.
4. Mash potatoes while they are still steaming. Stir milk into potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Smooth a thick layer of potatoes over the meat mixture.
6. Place slices of cheese over potato mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 an hour.
Another version of Shepherd’s Pie! I found it very time-consuming, but we ate on it for days AND my husband really liked it. So—will make again. No photo though. It flew down our mouth holes too fast.
Let me know if it works for you.
Care to share one of your favorite recipes? I’d love to try it!
Other yummy versions of Shepherd’s Pie:
- Shepherd’s Pie (littlekitchendiary.wordpress.com)
- Another Day, Another Meal (thedadventures.com)
- Leftover Night – Shepard’s Pie* (Or, Farmer’s Pie) (pixieinthekitchen.wordpress.com)
- Ultimate Shepherds Pie (caialed.wordpress.com)
- My Homemade Shepherd Pie (ninadiyana.wordpress.com)