One of my all time favorite sites, Attracting Wellness, is always putting up beautiful, nutritious recipes. Everything I’ve tried from her site has turned out amazingly well and wicked delicious.
This was my stab at her homemade magic muesli! She uses pure organic ingredients. I used some.
What I used:
4 Cups Rolled Oats
3/4 Cup Ground Bran
1/2 Cup Dried Organic Cranberries
1/2 Cup Dried Apple (You can dry out 1 sliced granny smith apple on the lowest setting of your stove—but it takes FOREVER!)
1/2 Cup Organic Sunflower Seeds, unsalted
1/2 Cup Organic Chopped or Slivered Almonds, unsalted
3/4 Cup Organic Walnuts
1. Mix the oats and bran together.
2. Stir in the dried fruit, seeds and nuts.
3. I washed and cut my Granny Smith apple into thin slices, laid them out on a baking sheet and “dehydrated” them on the lowest setting of my oven for 45 minutes. Unfortunately, it never dried out like it should have and was even a little difficult to cut because it had a rubbery texture. I thought about turning the stove up next time, but felt I was using a lot of electricity for just one apple. Next time, I’d leave them out, use other dried fruit, or maybe buy it.
4. Store in an air tight container.
We ate it as cereal for breakfast with milk for almost two weeks before we ran out. The oats and bran come in paper board boxes. I buy the seeds and cranberries at Whole Foods in the bulk section filling my own mesh bags, making it a truly waste free, plastic free product by saving the waste of the normal plastic bag muesli is packaged in. If I didn’t use the bulk foods section, then it would be even more wasteful. Instead of buying one bag of premade muesli, I would be buying 4 separate bags of nuts and seeds and cranberries to create my own.
See how much more trouble the manufacturers make it? But the feeling of looking over and seeing no trash or plastic in that trashcan. There’s nothing like it in the world. I feel I’ve won.
One step closer to zero waste!
- Muesli & Muesli Bars and a child that knows what he wants (itsnotartitsdinner.wordpress.com)
- My first trip to Whole Foods (militaryzerowaste.wordpress.com)
- Breakfast of Champions (eatinghealthyincentralpa.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Trail Mix: The Ultimate in Road Trip Food (themomcamera.wordpress.com)
- How to Skip the Candy (foxnews.com)