Winding along the back road of May Creek Drive, wooded with pines, wild grasses, and bending, feathery reeds lies a caffeine treasure trove in Kingsland, Georgia.
Manager Cindy Shope-Strock and assistant manager Laura Cooley oversee The Coffee Spot, an outreach ministry of Southeast Community Church, that takes up a large section of the facility, and remains open throughout the week until nine. Their motto? “It’s all about creating a culture of acceptance…while serving a great cup of coffee.”
Hey, any place that serves Blueberry Muffin and Red Velvet Frappes or Cherry Cordial and Polar Berry Mochas is going to make me look twice!
I noticed a “green price” on their menu. If a customer brings their own reusable cup, they only pay a dollar for a cup of coffee— up to a 32 oz. coffee. That’s a lot of coffee! I mentioned to Cindy about Lou and Liz and their reusable coffee cup campaign in Vancouver, and asked if her shop did anything else to help the environment besides the green prices. Boy, was I in for a surprise!
1. The Coffee Spot had their thermostat professionally regulated in order to not waste energy.
2. The men’s room has a motion sensor light to save energy.
3. The staff regularly turns off lights when not in use.
4. Ceramic glass travel mugs are sold for $10, which includes your 1st drink of choice and unlimited 50 cent regular coffee refills.
5. A recycle bin is available for newspapers, catalogs, periodicals and other paper waste in the back of the shop.
6. The Coffee Spot partnered with Habitat for Humanity to recycle plastic bottles and aluminum cans. The bins sit next to the sugar dispensers, happily waiting to recycle. When full , the shop alerts Habitat for Humanity who picks it up, takes it to the recycling center, and uses that money toward their organization!
7. Cindy offered to let me bring in a sealable container and her staff will collect the used coffee grounds so I can turn them over to the community garden.
Melissa Rodgers’s review sums it up on the Coffee Spot’s Facebook page, “I went for the first time today. My white mocha was super good and definitely the nicest coffee shop in Camden County. I found a new hideaway.”
For hot beverages, the Coffee Spot serves: Brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccinos, lattes, americanos, white and dark chocolate mochas, and hot chocolate.
For cold beverages, they serve: frozen blended coffee, fruit smoothies, frozen lemonade, iced tea, frappe’s and iced lattes.
Some holiday favorites: Pumpkin Pie, Hazelnut, Peppermint Mocha and Cinnamon Dolce Lattes, and Pumpkin Pie Frozen blended coffee served with whipped cream and sprinkles!
Tea is also available along with an assortment of bagels, cookies, muffins, danishes, and candy bars which vary by the day from southern velvet cake or triple chocolate mousse cake to pumpkin muffins!
Here’s one shop that’s community-oriented and doing their part. If you live anywhere in the Kingsland/St. Marys area, come by and have a cup of joe at 790 May Creek Drive, Kingsland, GA 31548 on the corner of the church.
Hours: Monday through Friday 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Sunday through Friday 8:00am – 1:00 pm
How about your local coffee shop? Do they offer discounts for using your own mug? Have you found any environmental surprises in your area you didn’t know of?
Excellent find! What a treasure of spot. Looking forward to visiting this little gem. Your so amazing and eyes always open. Thank you for shedding some light on these amazing folks. We loved the green campaign as keeping cost affordable and lowering wastes are a wonderful mission to always keep close at heart. We love you and appreciate you and all your incredbile efforts. Keep writing as were always listening, know that!
Thank you Attracting Wellness for reading and for all the encouragement. It means more than you know! 🙂
I was thrilled to find they had a “green” price. Nice little surprise. I like this town more and more every week!
….and they offer ceramic coffee mugs which are very inexpensive and come filled with your first cup!
Thanks for reading Todd! They’re attractive mugs too so you can look “extra” cool as you walk around drinking your joe! ha! 🙂
Great to see businesses who are trying to be aware of an minimise their environmental footprint. I especially like the incentives to encourage consumers to think twice too… those are some head-turning deals!
I agree, Cassandra. The more a business is like this, the more I like to shop with them! It’s a win-win.