Which do you think is more environmentally sound? A real tree or a fake one? We’ve been undecided for the past two years, so we haven’t put up one at all! I’ve never tried a poll before, so let’s do one! Let us know what you think and whatever number is highest by December 15th is the one we’ll choose!
The Pros and Cons lists (or skip to the poll at bottom)
Pros for a Real tree:
1. It smells comforting and festive.
2. Many cities will fetch them after the holidays for a special tree-mulching fest. The mulch is used in parks around town.
3. It can be composted.
4. It can be burned in the fire-place or fire pit in the back yard to roast your marshmallows over.
5. Christmas tree farms grow them specifically for the season so they don’t deplete the forests.
6. Could it truly be considered zero waste?
Cons for a Real tree:
1. It’s a real tree, cut down for a short holiday.
2. There’s no real reason for the tree, except that it looks pretty and it’s tradition.
3. It dies quickly.
4. The pine needles make a mess.
5. You have to get it home from the store…
6. It’s a REAL, LIVING tree taking in carbon dioxide and producing oxygen–which we kind of need.
7. Unless it was locally grown and cut, it was most likely shipped hundreds of miles to where you are.
Pros for a fake tree:
1. You can use it every year over and over again; the ultimate reusing project.
2. It doesn’t really look any different from a real one. (I don’t think so. We grew up with a fake one, which my mom still uses 36 years later. That would have been 36 real trees later.)
Cons for a fake tree:
1. It’s PLASTIC.
2. It’s made with petroleum-based materials.
3. Because it’s plastic, there’s the chance it produces VOCs (volatile organic compounds), harmful indoor air pollution.
4. It’s most likely shipped hundreds of miles to your nearest store.
5. It will one day end up in the landfill.
6. It’s not zero waste.
Pros for no tree:
1. It doesn’t affect the environment one way or another.
2. No mess to clean up from the real tree.
3. No toxic gases to breathe in from the fake tree.
4. No guilt.
5. No trouble.
6. You admire everyone else’s tree even more, since you don’t have one.
7. It is zero waste.
Cons for no tree:
1. It isn’t very festive.
2. People look at you funny.
3. People say you’re a Scrooge.
4. It doesn’t feel as much like the holidays.
What do you think? How do you celebrate? What decorations do you choose? Or do you opt out like we have? (Keep in mind, we have no kids yet. That changes things a bit.)