I promise not to make this into a food blog! But when I find a homemade recipe that’s really easy to make that could save you money and keep you from buying packaged goods, I have to pass it on. If it’s food related, I try to post it mid-week for a Wednesday pick-me-up, and there’s nothing like homemade zucchini bread to lift the spirits. It’s especially good when zucchini is in season. It’s so good though, I could eat it year round.
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 small zucchini, grated
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
How to bake it:
1.Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.Beat eggs. Gradually add sugar. Stir in oil and vanilla. Beat until thick and lemon colored. Stir in zucchini.
3.Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Stir dry mixture into wet mixture.
4. Add chopped walnuts and raisins.
5. Oil bread pan with olive oil. Pour batter into pan.
6. Bake for approximately 1 hour or when toothpick comes out clean.
(This last time I made it I used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup wheat germ instead of 2 cups whole wheat flour and even forgot to pull it out of the oven at least 15/20 minutes after the buzzer went off. It was soooo moist!)
Enjoy! Let me know how it turns out for you! Do you make your bread another scrumptious way I should know about? 🙂
And more appropriate for the holidays? Banana and Pumpkin bread recipes from sugar-free to paleo + pumpkin facts!
- Sugar-Free Banana Bread two ways (veronicascornucopia.com)
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread (thedailymeal.com)
- Indigenous Peoples Have Celebrated the Pumpkin for Centuries (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- Rockin Banana Bread (cecilrene.wordpress.com)