According to the Southeastern Public Service Authority of Chesapeake, VA who deal in residential waste disposal and recycling, there are a number of ways to help your family from accumulating so much trash:
1. Don’t accept plastic bags when shopping. Use a canvas bag or carry the items out in your hands.
2. Buy products made of recycled materials whenever possible.
3. Buying in bulk doesn’t only use less packaging but is economical too!
4. Use concentrate for juices, soups, or laundry detergent. Again, it’s less packaging and economical!
5. Avoid excess packaging.
6. Use rags or sponges instead of paper towels. Use glass mugs instead of styrofoam cups. Use cloth napkins rather than paper ones.
7. Always choose refillable over non-refillable items. Pens, lighters, rechargeable batteries, razors and replaceable blades end up in the landfill otherwise.
8. Take care of your belongings and they will last longer. Furniture, appliances, and electronics can be recycled, rebuilt and refurbished. No need to toss them!
9. Rather than buy an item and discard it, consider renting or leasing.
10. Buy from thrift stores, garage sales, and consignment shops instead of buying new. Many items are gently used or still new.
11. Rather than discard clothes, furniture, toys, and books–donate them to charities. There is always someone in need who may not be able to afford new items.
12. Pack lunches in reusable containers instead of using paper and Ziploc bags.
13. Share a newspaper or magazine subscription with a neighbor or family member. That way, more than one person gets use out of an item.
15. Use the library as often as possible.
16. Donate magazines and books to jails, library sales, nursing homes, schools, charities, or local dentist and doctor’s offices.
17. Write on both sides of the paper.
18. Eliminate junk mail by removing your name from lists.
How do you keep things out of the trash? Share your ideas here!
Other articles about trash:
- Thursday is the Day I Take Out the Trash…. (craigmotor.wordpress.com)
- May the trash be with me….in a German Way (behindandafter.wordpress.com)
- Trash (gaijinmd.wordpress.com)
- May I take your trash? (csmonitor.com)
- If I can do it…: Greening the kids’ lunch boxes and kitchen waste (alaskaconservationblog.com)
- 10 Ways To Reuse Junk In The Garden (angelbabe432.wordpress.com)
- What does your city recycle? Not what you may think… (militaryzerowaste.wordpress.com)
- Going green in lunch containers (kitsapsun.com)
- what your trash says about you (bripblap.com)
- “That was such an epic fail…” – Katy Perry (militaryzerowaste.wordpress.com)