So, I made some multi-grain/whole wheat/chocolate-chip/walnut muffins. Well, that’s a mouth full, now isn’t it? And that’s just what you’ll get if you try them!
They didn’t rise. Who knows why? But we needed something new for breakfast besides steel-cut oats and I’m trying to use healthier ingredients. Next time, I’ll just put them on a cookie sheet and call it a day.
1 and 1/2 cup organic stone ground whole wheat pastry flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill.)
1 cup multi-grain hot cereal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 and 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup flax-seed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup chipped walnuts
How to make it:
1. Combine the 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed in hot water and set aside until it expands.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl and wet ingredients in separate bowl.
3. Add milled flaxseed mixture to wet ingredients. I had to work it through with my fingers a bit to get it to dissolve.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients just until wet; add walnuts and chocolate chips. Don’t over mix.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes until knife or fork comes out clean.
Eat for breakfast or as a dessert! They tasted healthy and I was pretty proud of my creation. No picture for this one, darn it. They didn’t last long enough!
Other yummy muffin recipes: